Okay, so what started out early Wednesday morning as what I thought would be an easy fix to a storage solution, ended up being quite a project. I learned two things... One is that I'm somewhat of perfectionist and two is that I'm not an artist.... LOL
So the story is that I looked up each and every movie, yes, nearly 300 of them, on Netflix to see what Genre they fall into. Then I alphabetized the movies within each genre. Cut the slips to fit behind every disc and filed them into the CD binder.
DVDs over the cut-up movie covers
The good thing is that my kitchen table is no longer covered in DVDs as the project is completed. I even was able to get rid of all of these stinking DVD covers... YES I DID!!! I advertised them "free" on Craig's List and they were gone a few hours later! Yeah... I have my table back now!
Just look at all those bad boys spread out on the table. Honestly I could care less if I ever see another DVD or Blu-Ray for the rest of my life! Thank goodness for Netflix... That's all I have to say.
So here's all of the DVD cases empty on the table and the two binders full of movies:
The bad thing is that I thought I could be creative and "fancy up" the CD binder. After all, I did get a new Silhouette SD for Christmas. Mistake number one was thinking I was creative and mistake number two was actually trying to make it work. I downloaded a film strip and printed it off using my Silhouette. I then taped it on to the spine of one of the binders and realized that I needed the other part as a stencil. The bad news was that part was all ripped to shreds. SOOOO I thought I would tape off the entire spine and just paint / stencil it white. It sounds easy enough. It was easy enough, but now I know why I never fell victim to the 1990's stenciling of the walls.... I'm horrible at it. When I pulled that stencil off, there were paint globs everywhere. It just looked awful. So thinking that the binder itself is black and I have black craft paint, I'll just cover over the areas that got a little out of control. Well, all that did was add a little grey into the mess. So I took a hair dryer to the paint to speed up the drying process.. Is that a fire hazard? Anyway, I came back out and took a black Sharpie to cover the grey. The more I do the worse it looks, so I just quit. It looks like my toddler decorated the spine of the DVD holder.... Well, the good news is that it's on the one that holds his movies, so I guess that works good.... LOL I'll just have to buy another binder eventually and hide or um burn that one.
So one project is over. It took way too long, but I'm glad it's done. The whole reason I did it was to free up room in the armoire to put in VHS movies that are stored in an old entertainment center. The entertainmet center is stored in what is now the guest room, but will become my son's big-boy room. He needs to move out of the nursery so we can get it ready for "Baby Sister".
Anyway, that being said, when I opened the door of the armoire and what was once filled with DVDs is now filled with VHS tapes. So you really can't tell a difference between the before and after shots. The good thing is that we don't even have a VCR hooked up so moving the VHS tapes around to watch a movie is not going to be happening. The DVD's are all on the second shelf! WOO HOO!!!